Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Dear Mr. President

Dear Mr. President (Elect),
It is appropriate on this day of Thanksgiving to extend my heartfelt good wishes to you. For the first time in many years, in spite of the economic devastation reverberating around the globe, and in spite of my own desperate circumstances and impending homelessness, my thoughts were galvanized by a single remark of yours, lamenting the fact that you were within a Presidential bubble which isolated you from the common citizen.

Although my wife and I are in our sixties and seventies, the prospect of homelessness and hardship no longer seem beyond coping. My stroke of a few years ago, and my encroaching blindness now, were not the disasters they at first seemed, but opportunities to cope, to improve our lot, and to triumph, without lining up behind the bankers, brokers and auto executives snuffling at the public trough. I thank my lucky stars I am me, instead of one of them.

Last night, it came to me in a Eureka Moment, that I could give you a sort of Blackberry with which you could take the pulse of the America with which you can no longer have regular contact. I hope that it proves to be a worthy gift. The blog is called To Obama.

http://toobama.blogspot.com/

On those occasions when I have something to contribute, it will not be as a new post, but will join the others in the Dear Mr. President comments. I will also adhere to some other guidelines as well.

I will have some sense of priority, some sense of national security, and some sense that I am saying something from a considerably different vantage point. The most common failing among Presidents, is that, soon after taking office, they very quickly absorb the notion of their great power. Several have been enticed into adventures which became disasters. It is always easy to see in retrospect, far less easy to see as the situation develops And in all of the disasters, the President was inundated with good advice, mixed with less sound, but still plausible advice.

If there is anything else I can do, I serve at the pleasure of the President.
Anthropositor

Citizens of the world are invited to address the President of the United States of America publicly here.

1 comment:

Anthropositor said...


Dear Mr President (elect)

My policy on this public conduit to you will be to deal with a single issue in each of my messages, and to make my comment brief and succinct. And to the extent that I am able, never to engage in partisan rhetoric.

Unlike my two other blogs and my posts elsewhere on the net, in which my articles are sometimes whimsical or even contentious, here I will focus on those things I believe it might be easy to lose sight of, amid the trappings and apparent power of your office.

One of the most difficult tasks you will face is to resist the illusion that, because of the immense resources that can be brought to bear by the various agencies at your disposal, the information you are provided is more complete, accurate, straightforward and unambiguous than it actually is.

The clearest historic exammple was the Cuban Missile Crisis, not only the closest the world ever came to total destruction by the hand of man, but where blind luck played as big a part as any of tactics or strategy by two implacable opponents so seriously at ideological odds with one another.

If there is any point of time in history that would be most advantageous for you to dwell on in detail, this is the one. The evidence is so absolutely clear and overwhelming that sheer luck was decisive in the outcome.

True, we can look at many other points in history in which mistakes, calculated carefully and sometimes with perhaps the best of intentions, brought us to the brink of monumental disaster.

But never before in recorded time has there been such a clear and public example of cataclysmic disaster being brought about, not only by the two world leaders and their retinue of trusted advisors but by potential errors of field commanders not in a position to see anything but a fragment of the larger picture. A single commander of a submerged nuclear submarine, unable to surface to see what was happening or get clarification of his course of action, could easily have interpreted the explosions of depth charges around him as nuclear war already having commenced.

He, or a dozen other anonymous men in other distant points, could very easily have jumped to this world's final conclusion.
Thank you Mr. President.

Anthropositor